TheSecondSIF
Welcome to SI Friends (2), a support group of friends that are as close as family, (SI Friends No.2 has been available since 2011)

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TheSecondSIF
Welcome to SI Friends (2), a support group of friends that are as close as family, (SI Friends No.2 has been available since 2011)
TheSecondSIF
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple questions....

5 posters

Go down

A couple questions.... Empty A couple questions....

Post  VioletQaia Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:28 am

Okay, I just have a couple questions. First of all, if you click on the "who's online?" thing, it pops up with a Google map of where everybody is logged in from. I was just wondering, is that really necessary? It feels kind of intrusive, or as if people can stalk me via that. The little bubble thing for me really isn't that far off from where I actually live. Call me suspicious or paranoid, but the whole thing really freaks me out.

And secondly, what's with the 'google bot' thing? Sometimes it is here, and sometimes it is not. I have the weirdest feeling that it is tracking down where we live and all of our personal information. So, I guess the real question is, what is it doing here? Does it even have permission to be here?

If someone would answer that would be great. I am getting really freaked out by this. :pale:
VioletQaia
VioletQaia

Back to top Go down

A couple questions.... Empty Re: A couple questions....

Post  lennyolivia Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:32 am

Hmm. I just checked out the "who's online" map. That is a little creepy.
lennyolivia
lennyolivia

Back to top Go down

Post  BriarRose Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:25 am

I'm not sure how to answer your questions, but I will bring it to the attention of the other mods right away.

Thank you Smile
BriarRose
BriarRose
ModGod(ess)
ModGod(ess)

Back to top Go down

Post  Owen Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:17 pm

I just noticed the google maps thing.. check mymyself and it's kindof not exactly accurate but it's still within like 30 miles of my place :/ I'm going to see why that happens and how to stop as it was auto here nobody put it here ect :S

Googlebot freaked me out too but he's to make is findable more on google I think... because I asked can we get found on google type stuff to google ect... :S It freaks me out when I see it too... I think it only looks at keywords and stuff so when we use search engine it shows us more and more up the list instead of impossible to find ect :/

I'll see how to stop the ip thing Neutral it did seem abit wierd to find on here
Owen
Owen
Undead Rogue/Owner
Undead Rogue/Owner

https://sifriends.forum.co.ee

Back to top Go down

Post  Owen Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:26 pm

That was easier than I thought Neutral ..... all I had to do was click onto the who's online and my options in admin bit were "display google map? Y/N" and I clicked no and save and now it shows me my name, date/time, where i am on the forum... and nothing else... so thats pretty cool... kindof like SIF1 because it shows us where we are on the forum Smile

I think the IP's are where our internet connections are coming from type thing... and yeah my bubble wasn't tooo far off either and was kindof wierd Neutral Sorry about this VQ Sad didn't know it was there Neutral

But googlebot technically is to make us findable type thing for newbies in the future and stuff... I'm pretty sure it's only looking at key words and stuff and its all good and stuff...

Owen
Owen
Undead Rogue/Owner
Undead Rogue/Owner

https://sifriends.forum.co.ee

Back to top Go down

Post  OnEdge Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:48 pm

the googlebot is a completely automatic web-crawler that help creating the search indexes for googles search-engine. It is sort of a link harvester if you like. Don't worry about it.

OnEdge
Goblin Tank
Goblin Tank

Back to top Go down

Post  VioletQaia Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Thank you so much GDM and OnEdge!! I feel so much safer now, for some reason Very Happy
VioletQaia
VioletQaia

Back to top Go down

Post  BriarRose Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:48 am

Thanks guys!
BriarRose
BriarRose
ModGod(ess)
ModGod(ess)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum